一路 BBS

标题: Charlie Chaplin [打印本页]

作者: choi    时间: 6-10-2014 15:31
标题: Charlie Chaplin
Farran Smith Nehme, Tramp’s Stamp. 'I act with my feet as much my head,' Chaplin said. The long, wide shots he favored let slapstick humor develop. Wall Street Journal, June 7, 2014
online.wsj.com/articles/book-review-charlie-chaplin-director-by-donna-kornhaber-1402089445
(book review on Donna Kornhaber, Charlie Chaplin, Director. Northwestern University Press, 2014)

Note:
(a) Charlie Chaplin
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Chaplin
(1889-1977; born in London and died in Switzerland

(b)
(i) The English and French surname Chaplin referred to “a clergyman, or perhaps for the servant of one, from Middle English, Old French chapelain * * * (Late Latin capellanus [Modern English: chaplain])."
(ii) The German and Jewish (Ashkenazic) surname Haber means “oats, from Middle High German haber(e) ‘oats’, modern German Hafer.”

(c) “Asked to list the 10 greatest films of all time, the French director Robert Bresson listed ‘City Lights’ twice, ‘The Gold Rush’ once and left the rest of the list blank. Yet as Donna Kornhaber notes in ‘Charlie Chaplin, Director,’ the man behind the camera for those films has rarely received the same acclaim from critics as the actor in front of it.”
(i) Robert Bresson
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Bresson
(1901-1999)
(ii) City Lights
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Lights
(a 1931 American romantic comedy film written by, directed by, and starring Charlie Chaplin)
(iii) The Gold Rush
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gold_Rush
(a 1925 American silent comedy film written, produced, directed by, and starring Charlie Chaplin)

Not to be confused with City of Light, a moniker of Paris.

(d) “It was 100 years ago in January that Chaplin was asked by his boss at Keystone Studios, Mack Sennett, to go to wardrobe and find a comic get-up. Chaplin put on baggy pants, a tight coat and a derby hat. He picked up a cane and added a small mustache to age his 24-year-old face a bit. The short film made that day, ‘Mabel's Strange Predicament,’ was released on Feb. 9, 1914, two days after ‘Kid Auto Races at Venice,’ the second time he was filmed as the Tramp. By October, he'd progressed to directing himself, in the exquisitely funny ‘Dough and Dynamite.’ The Tramp, that comic masterpiece, was born at nearly the same time as Chaplin the director.”
(i) Keystone Studios
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystone_Studios
(1912-1935; Headquarters Edendale, [Los Angeles,] California; Keystone Cops (produced 1912-1917))
(ii) en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Chaplin
(section 1.2.1 Keystone)
(iii) Mabel
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mabel
(an English female given name derived from the Latin amabilis, "lovable, dear")
(iv) Dough and Dynamite
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dough_and_Dynamite
(1914)

(e)
(i)  slapstick (n)
www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=slapstick
(ii) Search images.google.com with slapstick and you will know what it is.

(f) “As late as 1947, director Robert Florey, then Chaplin's assistant on ‘Monsieur Verdoux,’ tried to persuade the boss to vary the shots and was told, ‘I act with my feet as much my head.’ Even so, Chaplin has many moments of simple but magnificent camerawork: a ship's passengers glimpsing the Statue of Liberty in ‘The Immigrant’ (1917) * * * Ms Kornhaber does Chaplin a service by laying out a case for his filmmaking art.”
(i) Monsieur Verdoux is inspired by French serial killer Henri Désiré Landru
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Désiré_Landru
(1869 – 1922; convicted of 11 murders and guillotined)
(A) The monsieur is Mr.
(B) Verdoux is the last name.
(ii) The Immigrant (1917 film)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Immigrant_(1917_film)
(iii) service (n): “a helpful act <did him a service>”
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/service

(g) “Those who arrive knowing little of film theory should be warned that they will be greeted by words like diegesis, telos and de-mediation, as well as sentences like this: ‘Chaplin here refigures speech to a point of ontological equivalency with action.’ * * * For her [Kornhaber], the films up to ‘The Great Dictator’ (1940) are the essence of Chaplin. * * * Ms Kornhaber admires the widely unloved "A Countess From Hong Kong" (1967), with Marlon Brando and Sophia Loren.”
(i) diegesis
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diegesis
(Greek for “narration”)

* pronunciation:
www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/de ... an_english/diegesis
(ii) telos (philosophy)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telos_(philosophy)
(Greek for "end")
(iii) I do not understand the concept of “demediation.”
(iv) The Great Dictator
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Dictator
(v) A Countess From Hong Kong
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Countess_from_Hong_Kong
(a 1967 British comedy film and the last film directed, written, produced and scored by Charlie Chaplin)

(h) “Leave the camera on a man in torment—say, eating his third or fourth boiled potato in real time, as in Bela Tarr's ‘The Turin Horse’ (2011)—and critics will call you an artist. Refuse to move the camera while you hold a stethoscope to a malfunctioning alarm clock, as Chaplin does in ‘The Pawn Shop’ from 1916, and they will say you never bothered with technique.”
(i) The Turin Horse
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Turin_Horse
(a 2011 Hungarian drama film directed by Béla Tarr and Ágnes Hranitzky)
(ii) The Pawnshop
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pawnshop
(Chaplin plays an assistant in a pawnshop)

欢迎光临 一路 BBS (http://www.yilubbs.com/) Powered by Discuz! X3.2