一路 BBS

标题: China’s Hong Kong Policy Is Right: 新加坡外长 尚穆根 [打印本页]

作者: choi    时间: 10-5-2014 12:28
标题: China’s Hong Kong Policy Is Right: 新加坡外长 尚穆根
Yesterday I expressed my unhappiness about occasionally disappearing postings. Though the phenomenon has nothing to do with censorship or politics, it is nonetheless vexing.

=========================
韩咏红, 尚穆根:忽略中国观点 西方传媒谈 ‘占中’ 带有成见与不实. 联合早报, Oct 4, 2014. origin-realtime.zaobao.com.sg/special/report/politic/hkpol/story20141004-396250

Note:
(a) K Shanmugam
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K._Shanmugam
(full name: Kasiviswanathan Shanmugam; Tamil; 1959- ; Kasiviswanathan is a patronymic, not a family name, and the person should be referred to by the given name, Shanmugam; Singapore's Minister for Foreign Affairs since 2011 and Minister for Law since 2008)
(b) Indian name
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_name
(the concept of a family name does not exist widely in Tamil Nadu; section 5.7.3 Tamil names)

Two decades ago in Somerville, Massachusetts (a Boston suburb), I had an Indian roommate, a graduate student at MIT, His last name--I am talking about position of his two-word name, without a hyphen) was typically English. I asked him how come. He explained that was his father’s given name, which became his last name, that upon my inquiry, his father’s last name was his grandfather’s given name, and that yes, they all had different last names. He did not volunteer that he was Tamil, so I thought it was INDIAN custom.

欢迎光临 一路 BBS (http://www.yilubbs.com/) Powered by Discuz! X3.2