搜索
查看: 1093|回复: 1
打印 上一主题 下一主题

Hanover and Britain; History

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 6-7-2014 12:41:15 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |正序浏览 |阅读模式
The Hanoverians’ tercentenary | Ties that Bind; Paying homage to Britain’s German royals. Economist, June 7, 2014
www.economist.com/news/europe/21 ... an-royals-ties-bind

Note:
(a) tercentenary (ter- "three times")
Online Etymology Dictionary
www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=tercentenary

(b) “THIS summer marks not only the centenary of the first world war, which pitted British Tommies against German Fritzes, but also 300 years since a vassal of the Holy Roman Emperor became king of Great Britain and Ireland. Georg Ludwig (George I to Britons) was a Guelph prince from Hanover who spoke bad English and came across as wooden. (‘We laughed at his uncouth German ways,’ wrote Thackeray.)”
(i) Tommy Atkins
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Atkins
(section 1 History: “ye Marines and Tommy Atkins behaved splendidly")
(A) Tommy Atkins (possibly should be Atkinses) referred to soldiers (in the army), opposite the marines.
(B) Besides “a plural pronoun of the second person in the subjective case” (“you” in modern English), ye is “the.”  See the “Usage Note” in
www.thefreedictionary.com/ye
(C) Fritz
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritz
(Fritz was also a name given to German troops by the British and others in the first and second world wars, equivalent to Tommy, as the British troops were called by German and other troops)
(ii) George I of Great Britain
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_I_of_Great_Britain
(1660-1727; King of Great Britain and Ireland (1714-1727) and Elector of Hanover (1698-1727; ruler of the Duchy and Electorate of Brunswick-Lüneburg (1235–1806) in the Holy Roman Empire))

The table in the Wiki page shows: “Full name: George Louis, German: Georg Ludwig; House of Hanover.”  Ludwig is NOT the last (or family) name.
(iii) Duchy of Brunswick-Lüneburg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchy_of_Brunswick-Lüneburg
(1235–1806; Its name came from the two largest towns in the territory: Brunswick and Lüneburg [likely in the early years, because Hanover rose from a small village--think Shanghai and Hong Kong--and in 1636 (a year after the duchy was divided among clan members) George, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg (and founder of House of Hanover) moved his residence to Hanover, and in 1692, this territory was upgraded to Electorate of Brunswick-Lüneburg, colloquially known as the Electorate of Hanover])
(iv) “a Guelph prince”
(A) House of Hanover
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Hanover
(is a younger branch of the House of Welf; George, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg, is considered the first member of the House of Hanover)

In other words, before the duchy was divided and George got a part, this George was a member of House of Welf.
(B) House of Welf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Welf
(historically rendered in English as Guelf or Guelph; The first member was Welf IV)
(C) Welf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welf
(is a Germanic first name [not a place name])
(D) Middle High German Welf became Italian Guelfo, which in turn became Guelph in English. (The English pronunciation for the vowel in Welf and Guelph is the same as that in “get.”)
(E) Online Etymology Dictionary states “welf” means “literally ‘whelp.’”

whelp (n; note its etymology): "any of the young of various carnivorous mammals and especially of the dog"
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/whelp
(v) For Thackeray, see William Makepeace Thackeray
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Makepeace_Thackeray
(1811-1863; famous for his satirical works)

This particular quotation of his came from “George I,” in the publication Four Georges (1860-1861).
回复

使用道具 举报

沙发
 楼主| 发表于 6-7-2014 12:41:27 | 只看该作者
(continued)

(c) “But after his mother’s death in mid-1714 at Herrenhausen, the family Schloss in Hanover, he was also the closest Protestant relative of Queen Anne, who died soon afterwards.”
(i) Herrenhausen
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herrenhausen

* Look at the photo titled “Herrenhausen Gardens.”
* German English dictionary
herr (noun masculine; plural herren): “lord”
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Herr
(ii) schloss
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schloss
(iii) “after his mother’s death in mid-1714 * * * he [George] was also the closest Protestant relative of Queen Anne”
(A) If his mother did not die, his mother rather than the George would have become the UK monarch.
(B) succession to the British throne
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Succession_to_the_British_throne
(Bill of Rights of 1689 dictated: Only Protestants were allowed to succeed to the Thrones, and those who married Roman Catholics were excluded)

Act of Settlement of 1701 effectively declared heir presumptive to Queen Anne James I & VI's granddaughter Sophia (1630-1714 (age 84); mother of George I), Electress and Dowager Duchess of Hanover.

(d) “For the next 123 years, four Georges and a William ruled both Britain and Hanover (roughly today’s Lower Saxony). Although one was becoming a global empire while the other remained a backwater, they became happily intertwined. Britons and Germans may argue whether Händel is more correct than Handel, but at the time the composer was both, having moved from Hanover to London. Out of the crossbreeding of English thoroughbreds with heavier German horses came the Hanoverians, the finest today. Hanoverian and British troops fought together against Napoleon.”
(i) House of Hanover ened when George V (grandson of Victoria) founded House of Windsor in 1917 (in the midst of World War I).
(ii) en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Hanover
(section 1.1 Hanover monarchs: Great Britain and the United Kingdom: includes George I, II, III, IV, William IV (reign 1830-1837), and Victoria (reign 1837-1901))
(iii) George Frideric Handel
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Frideric_Handel
(1685-1759; composer; German: Georg Friedrich Händel; born in today’s Germany; In 1710, Handel became Kapellmeister to German prince George, the Elector of Hanover, who in 1714 would become King George I; In 1712, Handel decided to settle permanently in England)
(iv) “Hanoverian and British troops fought together against Napoleon.”

That “Hanoverian” is horse
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanoverian_%28horse%29
, though it can be an adjective or a noun for a person of thing related to Hanover.

(e) “But Hanover, unlike Britain, observed the Salic law, which barred female heirs. So Victoria succeeded only to the British throne in 1837, whereas an uncle, Ernest Augustus, became king of Hanover.”
(i) Salic law
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salic_law
(The original edition of the code was commissioned by the first king of all the Franks, Clovis I (c 466–511); The name of the code comes from the circumstance that Clovis was a Merovingian king ruling only the Salian Franks before his unification of Frankia)
(ii) Salian Franks
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salian_Franks
(section 1 Etymology)
(iii) The relationship of UK and Hanover before 1837 is Personal union
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_union

(f) “The two realms drifted apart until Hanover found itself losing a war against a rising Prussia in 1866 and was annexed.”

Province of Hanover
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Province_of_Hanover
(1868-1946, when the state of Lower Saxony was created; Austro-Prussian War [June 14-Aug 23, 1866])
(g) “With them [Britons] came the Beatles (to neighbouring Hamburg) and much of the old Anglophilia.”

The Beatles in Hamburg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles_in_Hamburg(1960-1962)
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表