搜索
查看: 813|回复: 0
打印 上一主题 下一主题

Excerpt of Monica Lewinsky’s Essay

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 5-7-2014 14:59:56 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
Exclusive: Monica Lewinsky Writes About Her Affair with President Clinton. Vanity Fair, May 6, 2014.
www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2014/05/monica-lewinsky-speaks
("The full story is available May 8 in the digital editions. The magazine will be on national newsstands and available in an audio edition on May 13")

Note:
(a) This is the excerpt provided by the publisher.
(b) "I’ve decided, finally, to stick my head above the parapet"

(i) parapet (n)
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/parapet
(ii) parapet
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parapet
(section 5 Parapets in fortification)

(c) “And she requests one correction of Beyoncé, regarding the lyrics to her recent hit ‘Partition’: ‘Thanks, Beyoncé, but if we’re verbing [making a verb from scratch], I think you meant “Bill Clinton’d all on my gown,” not “Monica Lewinsky’d.”’
(i) Partition (song)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_(song)
(2013; The song consists of two parts, titled "Yoncé" and "Partition;" the birth of her [new alter ego Yoncé; section 2 Composition: second half only)
(ii) lyrics
www.directlyrics.com/beyonce-partition-lyrics.html

Read Part II only.

(d) “Lewinsky responds to reports made public in February that Hillary Clinton, during the 1990s, had characterized her as a ‘narcissistic loony toon’ in correspondence with close friend Diane Blair.”
(i) loony tune (n; variant: Looney tune; from Looney Tunes, series of short cartoons produced by Warner Brothers 1930–69; First Known Use 1976):
“LOONY”
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/loony%20tune
(ii) loony (adj & n; by shortening & alteration from lunatic; First Known Use 1872):
“CRAZY, FOOLISH”
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/loony

(e) Ms Lewinsky remains single.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表