搜索
查看: 974|回复: 0
打印 上一主题 下一主题

One Lesson Taiwan Can Learn From China

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 9-28-2014 16:39:09 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
Ralph Jennings, One Lesson Taiwan Can Learn From China. Forbes.com, Sept 28, 2014
www.forbes.com/sites/ralphjennin ... n-learn-from-china/
(ambitions)

My comment:
(a) “There are short lessons: Try adding yards, sidewalks and setbacks between flats and roads. Those measures common in China’s cities would ease urban density in Taiwan and increase breathing space (even if China’s air is filthy).”

A “short lesson” is a lesson that is short, brief. Google that term in quotation marks.
(b) “I talked this month to a 50-year-old Taiwanese computer vendor in China who was ready to pack up his Shanghai sales office after 12 years. * * * ‘I’m part of a group of people who have been eliminated [by China’s sea changes],’ says the ex-salesman, Jeff Wu. * * * ambition is pulsating in China. It will take an ethos of ambition to get ahead as people such as Jeff Pu fall behind.”

A type in the surname.
(c) “Shortly after I talked to him [Jeff WU or PU] I met a friend from Beijing on a visit to Taipei. In Beijing people are watching their backs while stabbing others to get higher salaries, bigger apartments and status-symbol cars, she griped. * * * My students from Beijing would turn up a year or two after graduation in the country’s top media jobs, watching or stabbing backs as needed to build careers.”

The last sentence talks about “watching or stabbing backs.”  Compare with the preceding sentence, and you know whose backs one watches and stabs.
(d) Mr Ralph Jennings is a journalist with Associated Press, but free lance also. He sounds as if Taiwanese now are more or less like Japanese: risk averse. I am skeptical, though admittedly I have been away for three decades.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表