Convenience Store Chains in Taiwan

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 5-22-2014 12:33:30 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
Eva Dou and Jenny W Hsu, 台湾便利店:要多便利有多便利. 华尔街日报中文版, May 21, 2014
cn.wsj.com/gb/20140521/AHD130334.asp

, which is translated from

Eva Dou and Jenny W Hsu, How Convenient: In Taiwan, The 24.7 Store Does It All; Chinas offer dinner out, dry cleaning, suckling pig to-go; Mascots begets a musical. Wall Street Journal, May 17, 2014 (front page).
online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB20001424052702304518704579520371243903680

Note:
(a) “‘Convenience stores are like braised pork rice,’ said Mr [Yata] Wang,a Taipei art vendor.”
(i) The cn.wsj.com translates braised pork rice as 扣肉飯. 扣肉 is rarely seen or eaten in Taiwan; mostly it is 控肉/焢肉.. Though 扣肉 and 焢肉 look similar, I do not know whether they are the same, for I  did not have the chance to eat the former (my clan was Cantonese).
(ii) Yata WANG  王 雅達  

(b) “7-Eleven Taiwan’s mascot, Open-Chan (His name derived from 7-Eleven’s 24-hour operation)”
(i) Open小將の魔法世界
www.openopen.com.tw/
(ii) chan ちゃん (suf[fix]): "suffix for familiar person"

(c) The 7-Eleven mascot recently added musicals to its repertoire with ‘The Great Adventure of the Magical Planet 魔法星球的大冒險’”

(d) Why Taiwan’s people like convenience stores so much remains in dispute. One argument says the fascination dates back to the Taiwanese general store, a fixture of life before the island became a modern economic powerhouse.”
(i) The “general store” is translated as 雜貨店 in cn.WSJ.com.
(ii) general store
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_store
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表