搜索
查看: 760|回复: 1
打印 上一主题 下一主题

Bloomberg BusinessWeek, May 5, 2014

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 6-11-2014 18:15:26 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
(1) Dorota Bartyzel with David McQuaid, Poland Grows, But Its Young Still Flee.
www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... ts-young-still-flee

Note:
(a) summary underneath the title of print: In its 10 years in the EU, Poland has received billions in aid.
(b) young (n; plural Young): "plural young persons: YOUTH [whose plural is youths]"
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/young
回复

使用道具 举报

沙发
 楼主| 发表于 6-11-2014 18:15:42 | 只看该作者
(2) Bruce Einhorn and Matthew Philips, Japan Prepares to Enter the Arms Bazaar.
www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... ter-the-arms-market
("The opportunities for Japan to grab market share won’t be in building entire weapons systems such as jet fighters or aircraft carriers. Japanese companies have a competitive edge in building high-end components, particularly electronics. * * * Japan now has the chance to make components for the F-35 that other countries may be able to use")

Note:
(a) summary underneath the title of print: Prime Minister Abe ends the ban on military exports as China growls

(b) Japan’s arms export ban “hindered the growth of the country’s defense industry. Because it couldn’t sell parts overseas, Japanese defense companies missed out on chances to develop tanks, fighter jets, and other weaponry with the US. The ban ‘has resulted in an isolated Japanese defense industry that produces very small quantities at very high cost,’ says Lance Gatling, president of Nexial Research, a defense consulting company in Tokyo.”
(i) Mr Gatling graduated from West Point, and holds two master’s degrees.
(ii) The word “nexial” is not in any English dictionary, but derived from English (actually Latin) noun nexus.

(c) “Tsuneo WATANABE 渡部 恒雄, director of policy research and senior fellow at the Tokyo Foundation 東京財団”

tsune 常 【つね】 (n): "usual state of things <私は彼と学校に行くのが常でした。 I used to go to school with him>"
(d) “The country [India] has had bad experiences buying Russian and French weapons. The Japanese could compete, especially if they do better by the Indians, says Dean Cheng, an East Asian military analyst for the Heritage Foundation.”
(i) I can not find “do better by” in any dictionary.
(ii) City and Colour
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_and_Colour
(Canadian singer-songwriter Dallas Green)
whose 2009 single "The Girl" whose first clause is: “I wish I could do better by you.”
rock.rapgenius.com/City-and-colour-the-girl-lyrics
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表