搜索
查看: 714|回复: 0
打印 上一主题 下一主题

Moving a Cat in and Out of Beijing; An Expat's Experience

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 12-11-2014 10:14:50 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
Debra Bruno, How We Smuggled Our Cat into China, and How She Got Home Again. China Real Time, Dec 11, 2014.
blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2014/12/11/how-we-smuggled-smudge-into-china-and-how-she-got-home-again/

Note:
(a) "What I forgot to set aside was her regulation cat carrier."

The word "regulation" is explained later: "the next day I found a cute little Burberry-plaid carrier for Smudge, all for 150 RMB ($24.43). 'Will it meet airline regulations?' I asked. 'You’ll need to check with the airlines,' they [sales person in a shop of Beijing veterinarian hospital] said."

(b) "I think of her as the cat version of Dorothy Parker: 'What fresh hell is this?'”
(i) Dorothy Parker (1893-1967; an American writer)
(ii) Ms Meade wrote a biography about her:
Marion Meade, Dorothy Parker; What fresh hell is this? Penguin Books,  1987.

How is the book related to the cat at issue is beyond me.

(c) "I sent out an all-points bulletin to anyone who had a cat or pet connection."

Enter "all-points bulletin" and Google returns at the very top (without attribution): "a radio message sent to every officer in a police force giving details of a suspected criminal or stolen vehicle." Another definition in the Web says, "to all officers." Probably this is what "all-points" means.

(d) "So she offered to trade with me — her regulation Sherpa carrier for my Burberry-plaid item."
(i) A "Sherpa" is a member of people (so the "S" is in upper case. Sherpa (n)
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sherpa
("They have won international renown as porters in the high Himalayas, and the name Sherpa has come to be used generically for porters there"
(ii) Sherpa here, however, is a American company name, selling its "carrier source for pets on the go."
www.sherpapet.com/

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表